If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (256) 533-5335

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Common Causes of Preventable Fires in Your Home

4/11/2021 (Permalink)

Accelerant Keep your home safe from preventable fires

A home can easily catch fire in many different ways. Here are some of the most common causes:

  1. Cooking Equipment. Pots and pans can overheat and can easily cause a fire if the person cooking gets distracted.

  2. Heating Appliances. Portable heaters should be kept at least one yard away from anything. Especially if it could easily catch fire.

  3. Smoking. A cigarette butt that has not been put out properly can cause a small flame which could stay lit for a few hours.

  4. Candles. Yes we all love our homes looking and smelling pretty, but never leave a room with a burning candle going. A candle flame doesn’t even have to come in contact with flammable materials to combust into flame. The wax from the candle can easily overheat and light up on its own. Keep candles away from anything flammable. Blow candles out before leaving your home, the room and even before going to bed.

  5. Faulty Wiring. Inadequate wiring causes fires. If your lights dim when using other appliances, fuses blow the circuit frequently, or if an appliance only works by having to disconnect another- then you may have bad wiring. Contact a licensed electrician if you have any of these occurrences.

  6. Barbecues. They’re great for outdoor cooking meals and promote quality family time spent together. Plus who doesn’t love the smoky grilled flavor of any food prepared on them? Just make sure to keep barbecues away from your home. Barbecuing underneath covered porches, next to tablecloths, any plants, tree branches, falling leaves or keeping your accelerants (lighter fluid / box of matches) close to your grill could cause the spread of a fire. If you are using propane, be sure to check the gas tank for any leaks before using it.

  7. Lighting. Lamp shades build up heat if they are too close to the light bulbs. Keep lamps in areas where they can not be easily knocked over. Never use a scarf or other cloth to cover your lamps as heat build up can cause combustion.

  8. Christmas Trees. Real Christmas trees tend to dry out over time, and usually by the end of the holiday season they’re done. They can cause a very serious flash fires if not disposed of in a timely manner. A hot light or a spark can set the tree aflame almost immediately and these fires to spread quickly due to the prickly leaves being so dry.

By paying attention to these few small details you can avoid the unfortunate losses and burdens that come with a preventable fire in your home.

If you have had a fire in your home, and you need help with the cleanup. Give SERVPRO of South Madison a call. We are here to help you restore your home to its former glory.

Other News

View Recent Posts