Thunder storm safety tips!
A thunder storm watch means that a storm is close to or coming soon to your area. A thunder storm warning means that the storm is about to hit or has already arrived in your area.
Here's a few tips on how to stay safe during a thunder storm!
- Keep an eye on the sky. Watch the weather at all times.
- Find a safe place. A building or car will do. Make sure all the windows are closed and avoid places with a lot of metal such as bleachers or dugouts.
- If there is no shelter around you, stay away from trees. Crouch down in the open area, keeping twice as far away from a tree as far as it is tall. Put your feet together and place your hands over your ears to minimize hearing damage from thunder.
- If with others, stay about 15 feet apart.
- Stay away and out of water!
- Stay away from metal and remove backpacks/purses because they usually contain metal.
- After the storm has passed wait 30 minutes before resuming to usual activities.
- Avoid water. Don't shower, do laundry, wash dishes, or wash your hands.
- Do not use cords! Chargers, extensions, corded phones are bad idea during a thunder storm.
- Do not use electrical equipment. Computers or other electrical appliances.
- Stay inside and away from windows. Keep all windows and doors closed.
If someone is struck by lightening call 911 for help immediately. The person struck will no carry any charge so it is okay to touch them.